There are several options that will allow you to feature photos in unique ways on your site. Photos can be added to any standard Content Page, News Item, or FAQ using the editing toolbar (WYSIWYG). Photos can also be added via several widget options on your homepage, Landing Pages, and Content Pages.
Did you know there are Stock Photos available in your image library?
- Avoid uploading very large photo files to your site, which will have a negative effect on the overall speed and performance of your site. As a general rule of thumb, only upload photos that are within the "KB" size range (i.e., less than 1MB).
- Use photos to add variety to your site, and to help "break up" large chunks of text (to make your pages easier to read/skim).
- Remember to use alt text for accessibility!
Where to Find Photos on Your Site
- All photos uploaded to your site can be found at the /admin/dashboard/files path of your site, in the "Files" tab of the Editor/Site Builder dashboard, and in the "Library" tab within the "Add Media" uploader interface. Your library comes pre-supplied with a variety of Stock Images.
- In addition to the available Stock Images, more campus photos can be found at gallery.berkeley.edu.
How to Add/Upload/Select Photos
- When creating Content Pages, News Items, and FAQs, you can add a photo by using the "Add Media" button in the editing toolbar (WYSIWYG). There are several display options available, and you have the option to crop the photo when uploading as well.
- See Add Images for details.
How to Feature Photos Using Widgets
- On any page where "Customize this Page" and "Change Layout" are available (home page, Landing Pages, Content Pages, etc.), there are several widget options that can feature photos in a widget region. See the following links for details:
- Layouts and Widgets
- Use and Change Layouts
- Types of Widgets
- Image Widget
- Text Widget
- Spotlight (slideshow) Widget
- In addition to the above widget options, there are several Berkeley Brand widget options that can feature photos in a widget region along with Berkeley Brand colors. See the following links for details:
How to Prepare Images for Use in Brand Widgets
When using Brand components such as Hero, Photo Thumbnail, or Promo widgets, your images will be automatically cropped and scaled to fit the aspect ratio and size required by the widgets. For best results you should crop your images before uploading.
See Image shapes and sizes for information about image sizes and shapes for widgets.
How to Organize Your Photos
- Optional Media Tags are available to help you categorize and organize your photos.
- See Media Tags for details
- Try to use short and easy-to-read file names for your photos (e.g., "campanile.png" instead of "campuscampanile03423o82323213.png"). This will make it much easier to search for and use photos again in the future.
- When uploading photos, you have the option to edit the file name right after uploading (so you can add a shorter/easier name if the original filename is long/complicated), or you can edit the file names directly from the Files dashboard.