Site Builders Guide
Welcome to the Open Berkeley Site Builders Guide.
This guide covers additional actions that can be accomplished by Site Builders on the Open Berkeley platform.
Login and Interface
If you have an editing role on an Open Berkeley website, you can log in to either your live or test environments.
If you log in to either the live or test environment and do not see a black admin bar across the top of the screen, that means that you do not have an editing role on the environment(s). Please contact a Site Builder on your site (since Site Builders can assign user roles), or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Log in via CAS https://[yoursite].berkeley.edu/cas.
Once you log in, you should see the administration menu bar at the top of the screen; you can use that menu bar to navigate.
Recommended Site Building Workflow
- Determine the navigation of your site (see Planning Your Website).
- Your Open Berkeley site comes with some helpful starter content. Use this content to get an idea of how content can be added to your site, and reconfigure the content as necessary as you build your site.
- "Welcome" homepage widget (a Text widget).
- "Recent Stories" widget, which contains the most recent "News" items.
- Starter content in the main menu:
- Create top-level (parent) pages and add them to your main menu. Try to keep the number of main menu items to 6 or fewer, and make the menu item titles short and succinct.
- Top-level pages can be either Content Pages or Landing Pages; additional sub-pages (child pages) should be mostly Content Pages. Landing Pages can be used for top-level pages if you would like to use full-width Hero Widgets and Color Bands, or if you would like to add three or more widgets to the page.
- Create sub-pages (child pages) of the top-level menu items (sub-pages should be mostly Content Pages).
- Select layouts and create widgets on your home page and other pages as necessary to enhance your content.