Site Builders Guide
Welcome to the Open Berkeley Site Builders Guide.
This guide covers additional actions that can be accomplished by Site Builders on the Open Berkeley platform.
Login and interface
- CAS authenticate at http://[yoursite].berkeley.edu/cas
Once you log in, you should see the administration menu bar at the top of the screen; you can use that menu bar to navigate.
If you would like to experiment on your test website environment but do now know the URL, please contact Web Platform Services (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you are new to the system and experimenting with tests, make sure you are on the test website and not your live/production website!
Site building workflow
- Determine the navigation of your site (see Planning Your Website).
- Your Open Berkeley site comes with some helpful starter content. Use this content to get an idea of how content can be added to your site, and reconfigure the content as necessary as you build your site.
- "Welcome" homepage widget (added using the "Content Item" option).
- "Recent Stories" widget, which contains the most recent "News" items.
- Starter main menu item ("Menu Item Two", a Content Page), a "News" menu item (containing all of your "News" items), and an "FAQ" menu item (containing all of your "FAQ" items).
- Create top-level (parent) pages and add them to your main menu. Try to keep the number of main menu items to 6 or fewer, and make the menu item titles short and succinct.
- Top-level pages can be either Content Pages or Landing Pages; additional sub-pages (child pages) should be mostly Content Pages. Landing Pages can be used for top-level pages if you would like to use full-width Hero Widgets and Color Bands.
- Create sub-pages (child pages) of the top-level menu items (sub-pages should be mostly Content Pages).
- Select layouts and create widgets on your home page and other pages as necessary to enhance your content.