Site Builders Guide
Welcome to the Open Berkeley Site Builders Guide.
This guide covers additional actions that can be accomplished by Site Builders on the Open Berkeley platform.
For an overview of basic editing functionality, see the Editors Guide.
Login and interface
- CAS authenticate at http://[yoursite].berkeley.edu/cas
Once you log in, you should see the administration menu bar at the top of the screen; you can use that menu bar to navigate.
If you would like to experiment on your test website environment but do now know the URL, please contact Web Platform Services (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you are new to the system and experimenting with tests, make sure you are on the test website and not your live/production website!
If you ever notice any display issues or a change you made is not showing up, it may be a cache issue. You can flush cache via the administration menu.
Always try flushing cache before contacting Web Platform Services about any display issues; however, try not to flush cache unless you need to because caching makes your website pages load faster!
If flushing the site cache doesn't resolve the issue, you may want to try flushing your browser cache as well before re-testing.
- The live site has a cache set to 15 minutes for performance reasons. For an anonymous visitor (who is not signed in), that typically means that your changes may not show up for 15 minutes on the live site.
- If you make an update that you need to show up ASAP, you can try to "flush cache" or "clear cache" following the above instructions, but typically you want to leave the cache alone.
- Since website cache can be a fairly complex process, flushing cache via the admin menu may not result in your latest changes showing up immediately. Instead of relying on the act of flushing caches via the admin menu, consider planning ahead and keeping the 15-minute cache window in mind when making your updates.
- If you ever encounter display issues or other similar issues on your site, and flushing caches via the admin menu doesn't help, you can also try clearing your browser cache, and/or viewing your website in a different browser. Here are instructions on how to clear browser cache:
Site building workflow
- Determine the navigation of your site (see Planning Your Website).
- Your Open Berkeley site comes with some helpful starter content. Use this content to get an idea of how content can be added to your site, and reconfigure the content as necessary as you build your site.
- "Welcome" homepage widget (added using the "Content Item" option).
- "Recent Stories" widget, which contains the most recent "News" items.
- Starter main menu item ("Menu Item Two", a Content Page), a "News" menu item (containing all of your "News" items), and an "FAQ" menu item (containing all of your "FAQ" items).
- Create top-level (parent) pages and add them to your main menu. Try to keep the number of main menu items to 6 or fewer, and make the menu item titles short and succinct.
- Top-level pages can be either Content Pages or Landing Pages; additional sub-pages (child pages) should be mostly Content Pages. Landing Pages can be used for top-level pages if you would like to use full-width Hero Widgets and Color Bands.
- Create sub-pages (child pages) of the top-level menu items (sub-pages should be mostly Content Pages).
- Select layouts and create widgets on your home page and other pages as necessary to enhance your content.